Sunday, September 23, 2007

only in new york...

On a lazy Sunday morning after a mad booze and puke-filled party the night before, Hema dragged me (along with Samcho and Vikrant, who were crashing at my place) to Union Square as she had an appointment with the hair stylist. While waiting for her, we guys were browsing through the Sale section of the Strand at 12th and Broadway. Most of the books were for a buck, and I was looking at some good ones on american history (have been trying to understand what exactly makes this country so much richer than India, its certainly not the intellect...), when i noticed this handwritten note inside one of the books. Untitled and unsigned, it was likely written by some couple trying to start a family, or could be just a bored co-ed, there was no way of knowing. It was pretty sweet, though. I've reproduced it below, go through it, its a nice read -

Once upon a time, not so long ago, there lived a happy couple called Sandra and Eddie. 'Yes', they said, 'we are very happy', 'But', declared Sandra, 'If we had a baby then we would be the happiest people in the world', and Eddie agreed.
So they set out to get a baby. They wished upon the stars - can you please give us a baby, but they only smiled and twinkled back, 'we are too far away to give you a baby', 'perhaps you can try someone else.'
They followed a rainbow and found a leprechaun sitting on a crock of gold. 'Mr. Lep, can you give us a baby', asked Sandra and Eddie. 'A baby?!' said the leprechaun gruffly, 'I can't give you a baby - I can give you this crock of gold, perhaps you can try the Easter bunny.' But that is not what Sandra and Eddie wanted, a crock of gold is not a baby. So off they went and asked the Easter bunny 'Mr. Easter bunny can you please give us a baby'. 'A Baby?', said the Easter bunny twitching its nose, 'I can't give you a baby - I can give an Easter egg perhaps you can try the stork.'
So off went Sandra and Eddie and asked the stork, 'Mr Stork can you give us a baby?'. 'A baby', said the stork peering down his glasses, 'I can't give you a baby, its thanksgiving and I am on my way to Florida, its far too cold here. Perhaps when I get back I can give you a baby'. 'But we want one this year', cried Sandra and Eddie.
Poor poor Sandra and Eddie, they were so sad. 'Now what do we do?' asked Sandra, 'Its almost Christmas and we have no baby.' Then Eddie had an idea, 'I know, lets write a letter to Santa Claus...

And there it ended, evidently incomplete. Extremely cheesy, but it struck a chord with my dehydrated, hungover, post-pukescent brain... I showed it to Samcho, he liked it too. I gave the parchment to Vikrant to read, he glanced over it, murmured something inaudible and went back to a book on automobiles that he had unearthed from the junk...Just then the missus came out with no apparent change in hair length or texture (in fact, it seemed as if her hair had magically grown longer), and asked, 'hows my hair?' After the obligatory comments on how they make her look thin, smart, sexy, young, successful and so 'New York', I eagerly gave her the piece of paper to read...'See what I found!' She took it from my hands, went through it slowly, and as always, had the last word...'But why didn't they just have sex?'...

2 comments:

Bland Spice said...

this is like one of those jug suraiya's musings sans the pretentious english.

Arun said...

HAHAHAHAHA....good one kumar...