Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Great Depression

Part of the reason I have not been prolific with my blog, is the ensuing depression following my 29th birthday last month. In an age where 25 year old bankers and 24 year old techies are making twice as me, not to mention look all lissome and, well, young, I was pretty much crushed by the prospect of forever bidding youth goodbye...
So, after alternating eating and drinking binges, and a period of missed deadlines at work, I've decided to pull up my socks, and have made a list of things to do before I turn 30. (which will be in about 10 months). I hope this gives me some kind of focus, and will help me keep track of things I really want to do in life. I'll keep you guys posted (and put in pics, wherever possible), if and when I manage to accomplish each of these things -

Things to do before I turn 30 (in no particular order)

1. Backpack through one of these 3 places - Amrika, Europe, India. Try to do all 3 before turning 35.
2. Learn Swimming.
3. Get into a fist fight (already did that), but this time, with someone atleast a head taller, and much broader than me.
4. Write a book. It can be prose, poetry, fiction, a memoir, watever, just write something and submit it to the publishers.
5. Learn a new language (preferably Spanish, French or German)
6. Get a six pack (the real Hritik Roshan/Brad Pitt one, not the fake SRK one), and maintain it for atleast a month.
7. Run a marathon. If possible, do a triathlon.
8. Drive through Route 101/California 1. (might need vikrant's help to do this)
9. Attend atleast one of these events - Mardi Gras, the carnival at Brazil, SXSW, Burning Man, Lollapalooza, the Edinburgh festival, or Glastonbury.
10. Buy a house (or atleast put down the downpayment and sign on for a mortgage)
11. Test myself physically - row through rapids, go bungee jumping, sky-diving, scuba-diving...
12. Visit (atleast) one of these places - Prague, Paris, Buenos Aires, Istanbul.
13. Visit London
14. Gamble, with huge stakes, at Vegas.
15. Try to get atleast one picture with a bonafide movie star.
16. Eat atleast one meal at a world-renowned, 5-star restaurant.
17. Watch a Yankees-Mets game, and a Knicks game (preferably against the Lakers or the Cavs) at MSG.
18. Ride a Harley Davidson (or a BMW).
19. Buy an expensive tailored suit.
20. Organize, and host atleast one private party at a nightclub in New York.

5 comments:

Alam said...

its a big list ....for 10 months

would make interesting reading if you write about the progress on this list

Samcho said...

Why the blog is titled "The Great Depression".. ??
Add to the list- "Getting out of Harlem"Amen

Bland Spice said...

as alam said, big list for a year.

do you plan to work in between? :)

graduate that fist-fight wish to fist-fight with a WWF star!

vijay said...

YOU MADE ME JOIN BLOGSPOT AFTER I READ YOUR LIST!!!!!
Your normally interesting, i don't agree with much, blog took a big turn for the worst

All the things you have over there...Just need TIME AND MONEY!!

Arey mere middle class Madhavan kuch uncha socho....

Where is the risk and thrill?

Thrill of leaving your comfort zone of Physical activities and doing something which scares you...

Now what scares you is a different thing.... maybe a blog post on that might be nice..

AID New York said...

good observation, dude...I was thinking of that myself...that none of these include any life-changing activities...then again, I have a few loans to sort out, some things to settle...
gimme a couple of years...and watch this space...